About Coffs Harbour Triathlon Club
Coffs Harbour Triathlon Club welcomes athletes of all abilities to compete in the local club races that we stage each fortnight during the triathlon season. We pride ourselves on being a friendly and social club that welcomes new members and visiting triathletes.
Our racing scene is very busy with the triathlon season running from September - May in and around the scenic Coffs Harbour Jetty. We hold regular club races throughout the triathlon season over the following distances; short course 250m swim, 10km cycle and 2.5km run and long course; 750m swim, 20km cycle and 5km run. The format and distances occasionally differ to add an interesting variety to our races, with occasional variations to fit in with the local triathlon calendar.
The registration / transition area is located on the grassed area east of the Yacht Club. The course features a swim held between the break wall and the historic Coffs Harbour Jetty, the cycle course weaves its way around Coffs Harbour from the jetty area out towards Homebase and back, and the run course sees competitors run along the jetty and foreshore surrounds.
During the season we hold a number of novice days where athletes can come and “tri” a triathlon and see if they like it. These days are excellent for first timers as they can have a go without the pressure of having to compete in an “open race” and allow the participant to mingle with club members and get a feel for the sport before making a more permanent commitment. Novice days are at a cost of only $10 for the competitor (which goes to Triathlon Australia (TA) for 1 day licensing requirements). Novice days normally occur twice during the season and the dates are listed on the event calendar.
The regular cost for non members to compete is $20 per competitor. ($10 to compete on the day and $10 to TA for 1 day licensing requirements). Competitors are allowed to compete in two club races before making a commitment to becoming a member of Coffs Harbour Triathlon Club. There is no option for competitors to continue racing after completing two club races unless they join the triathlon club.
Coffs Harbour Triathlon club also welcomes triathletes from other TA affiliated triathlon clubs. They are able to compete free of charge as long as they are also a member of TA (otherwise the usual $10 fee applies for 1 day licensing requirements). They will be ineligible for handicap prizes (these are available only for club members).
There are also training sessions which we encourage both members and non-members to attend. These are informal training sessions:
- Every Saturday morning at 6.30 a.m. a large number of cyclists gather in the mall on Harbour Drive for a cycle out to Sawtell and back following the local roads and bikes paths.
- Every Saturday morning at 8.00 a.m. a large number of swimmers gather at the Water Police Headquarters for an enjoyable swim in the harbour.
- Also on Saturday mornings you may find a numbers of runners doing the Coffs Creek loop. Runners leave around 6.30 a.m. to be back in time for swimming.
- Wednesday mornings a group of cyclists complete the “town loop” leaving at approximately 5.30 a.m. from the mall area on Harbour Drive and cycling around Coffs Harbour.
- On Friday evenings (daylight savings only) a group meet on the grassed area adjacent to the yacht club car park to participate in an aquathlon. The run is approx 2.5 km followed by a swim around the jetty (500m) followed again by the run. The aquathlon starts at 6pm.
If you would like to come down and compete in one of our club races, please feel free to meet at the eastern side of the yacht club at approximately 6am on race days to register.